The event count currently stands at 230 or so for Tampa Bay Beer Week 2013, which “officially” kicks off at
3 p.m. Saturday, March 2 with a ceremonial keg tapping by Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn in Ybor City’s Centennial Park during the Florida Brewer’s Guild Beer Fest.
Last week, I highlighted what I considered the 6 Must-Attend Tampa Bay Beer Week Events but plenty were, of course, left out. Among them are some rare and special beer bottle releases. A lot of beer geeks enjoy collecting such brews, so I thought I’d help by pulling them out of the crowded events calendar and sharing them here. Make room in your “cellars”!
Lueken’s Liquors (944 Patricia Ave., Dunedin, FL 34698)
- Monday, March 4: There will be 2011 and 2012 vintages of Cigar City Marshal Zhukovs (very limited) Dogfish Head 120, Bell’s Hopslam, Sam Adams Utopia (only 3 bottles) released. Limited quantities per person. First come, first served. Cigar City Brewing head brewer Wayne Wambles will be on hand to talk about the beer and pour samples. 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 5: Releases of Barley Mow Foolery barley wine from Largo’s Barley Mow Brewery and Gose from Pinellas Park’s Rapp Brewing Company. Limited quantities. Noon.
- Wednesday, March 6: Special release of Deconstructed Subtropical, a “stripped-down version” of the Subtropical collaboration of Dunedin Brewery, 7venth Sun and Cigar City, with orange peel and pink peppercorns only. There will also be four years of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot on draft and a raffle. 1 p.m. (Note: An earlier version of this story did not include the “Deconstructed Subtropical” information because it had not been announced).
- Thursday, March 7: 7venth Sun’s Barrel-aged Belge D’or W/brettanomyces. First come, first served, limited quantities per person. 8 a.m.
Dunedin Brewery (937 Douglas Ave., Dunedin)
- Thursday, March 7: Release of Rye Heart, Dunedin Brewery’s collaboration beer with Terrapin Beer Co., a Scotch ale brewed with rye. Terrapin head brewer Spike and other brewery folk will be on site. Rye Heart on tap at 11 a.m., Rye Heart bottles on sale at 5 p.m. Includes a commemorative Terrapin/Dunedin glassware with first 50 bottle sales.
- Sunday, March 10: Dunedin Brewery, Cigar City, & 7venth Sun joined up to brew a Florida saison to celebrate the Tampa Bay Beer Week. The Subtropical Farmhouse Ale was brewed with Orange Peel, Pink Peppercorn, Lemongrass, & Coconut. Drafts and limited 22 oz. bottles will go on sale at noon. Also on sale: Oak-Aged Mundofolbick, Espresso Rye Heart, and more. (This is in conjunction with 7venth Sun Brewing’s Hunahpu Hangover Day event.)
Cigar City Brewing (3924 W. Spruce St., Tampa.)
- Saturday, March 9: Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout. Gates open at 7:50 a.m.; bottles go on sale at noon, or when the last wristband is handed out, whichever comes first.
There will be many other rare and special release beers poured out of the taps of dozens of Tampa Bay area venues during the week as well, so be sure to keep track on the 2013 Tampa Bay Beer Week events calendar.
If any more bottle releases are announced, they will be posted here.